Friday, March 8, 2013

Lotts of Long Horn fans



 Our little Long Horn fans!!!



February 12, 2013   9 months

Afterwards we went for shakes at Arctic Circle.  We keep them in business and they know me now because I go there a little to much.


Alex turned 17 on February 10th.  Wow has the time flown.  It's crazy to think that he will graduate next year and be serving a mission.  We love him very much and will miss him.  We are thrilled that he has finally had a growth spurt.  He is a little over 5'8 and is bulking up with muscle.  I am so happy he finally out weighs me but I have told him I could still take him down in a wrestling match.  He has recently started his Eagle project and will be done by the end of the month.  He is co chairman of the Hooper City Easter Egg hunt.  This is actually a huge project as we have about 10,000 eggs to fill and expect around 1000 kids to show up.  So far we have put together 100 Easter baskets filled with toys to give out and we still have much to do.  The Easter egg hunt is at 9am on March 30th at the Hooper park.

I celebrated a birthday this month as well.  It was so neat to have my little nephew Benjamin born on my birthday last year- Feb 29th.  It was fun to celebrate this year together.  His was a little nervous about eating his cake and I even joined the fun and ate some with my hands as well.



We finally completed the little apartment in our basement.  Mike's mom has been living there for about a month.  We love having her here and have been having a lot of fun together.  She was recently called to be our ward organist and the kids are so proud to see her up on the stand playing the organ.  Adam was wondering why it says Jeri Lott on the program and not Grandma Jeri.  Mike also recently received a new calling.  He has been called to be on our Stake High Counsel.  He is a little nervous but I know he will do a great job.  I have warned him that he had better not ask me to speak with him.  He tells me that if I don't quit laughing at all the meetings and things he has to do he will make me.  Ha ha.  Little does he know that all I have to do is embarrass him really badly the first time and then I will be off the hook.  Just kidding.  I told him I would be honored.  The only real down side to the calling for me is that he has to have a clean shaven face.  I really liked his goatee (no clue how to spell it).  Oh well, such is life.  That's not a good enough reason to turn down a calling.
We are doing very well.  It's hard to believe that the year mark will soon be upon us.  Ryan's 15th birthday will be next week on the 16th and that will be a very difficult day as well.  I have invited both sides of our families here to help us.  I am thankful for the wonderful memory of his birthday last year.  My precious boy sat back and watched as his little brothers opened all of his birthday presents for him.  It was priceless to see the love he showed to them.  I am so thankful we have it on video.  We as a family have also had fun watching other home videos and remembering so many good times. 
This all still seems so unreal and I really have to take it a day at a time.  It still hurts to much to think about the rest of this earthly life without him and so I don't.  I just keep remembering that this is all for our good and someday we will know why.  I recently had to teach my young women about the Atonement.  I have relied on it so much this past year.  It wasn't just for the sinners.  Our Savior has suffered all our pains, sorrows, fears and disappointments.  He truly knows how I feel.  I am not in this alone.   My testimony has grown so much through reading the General Conference messages as well.  I have received so much peace and comfort and encourage all those seeking answers and comfort to look for them there and in the scriptures.  As I was writing this Alex came home from school.  He saw me crying and left and came back with the Bible.  He said they had read these verses today in seminary and he felt like he should share them with me.  I am thankful for his example to me and want to share these verses because they apply to everyone.   2 Corinthians 4:17-18   "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal;but the things which are not seen are eternal."

  Another good book I have read is "Let It Go".  It is about a father who lost his pregnant wife, unborn child and two other children to a drunk driver.  I cried so hard as I read his story.  What faith he has.  What forgiveness he showed.  I encourage all to read and learn from his example.  As I witness others who have had trials even worse then mine, I am given courage and strenght to continue on...  to love more, to serve more and to hold on until all that is unfair in this life will me made right through the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ.  For he has truly wept for us and our afflictions are engraven upon his palms.  I hope I can remember this this Easter season and throughout my lifetime.

Thank you again to all those who still remember us and help us in so many ways.

5 comments:

  1. Catherine, I did not know Ryan and I don't know your family, but I enjoy reading this blog and seeing the pictures of your family honoring his memory. I like to read your spiritual progress and your faith in Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. You have such a strong testimony and a great desire to serve Him, no matter the price. I hope that if I were afflicted with this same trial that I could have the faith that you do. Your testimony of faith helps strengthen mine, and I thank you for that. I hope God lifts you up and carries you through as these anniversaries come along.
    Sincerely,
    Jamie Peterson-- teacher at RMJH

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so wonderful that you keep up this blog. When we see each other, our minutes and hours are made up of watching our children play and we don't always get to hear about all of your journeys and experiences. Thank you for sharing these sweet, personal thoughts and growing experiences. I love you all so much and am so grateful to know we have forever together. That is a beautiful scripture that Alex shared. Thank you again for sharing a bit of your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved everything about this post. Especially the scripture Alex shared. Love you guys. --Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL you and BEAUTIFUL words!!! Seriously the second I started reading this post, Dax had an accident in his pants and I was much calmer with him than I initially wanted to be because of you....I hope that you know how much you affect my life and how much you influence how I interact with my children. Your faith is so beautiful....so true and so honest. I look at you as a true inspiration in my life and I am so blessed to have you as one of my most cherished friends. You are raising an amazing family and I can only hope that I am raising mine to be 1/100th as amazing as yours! I love you with all of my heart!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so happy you are helping with the Easter Egg Hunt.It's helping my mom out a lot. Usually the only helpers are us!!!

    ReplyDelete